Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lives Of The Vines



With today's post, I am beginning a new series called the "Lives of the Vines." The idea is to document the growing cycle of our vineyard from bud break to dormancy. Once a week, I plan to photograph the same grapevine to illustrate what's happening in the vineyard. Also, I will give a short summary of the progress being made. To bring you up to speed, the following things have already happened in the vineyard:


  • Cover crop planted between rows
  • Vines Pre-pruned
  • Weed abatement
  • Vines Pruned
  • Cover crop cultivated.

Bud break began around April 15. Now that the tender leaves are sprouting, we hope there will be no more frosty nights. Last year we lost half our crop to frost.

7 comments:

  1. thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad you enjoyed the cheesiness :D
    carma

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really neat to see your blog grow, and you are growing it! Congrats on your blog class, what a wonderful idea. I did research online and found some great sites with blogging tips and hints.

    I'm glad we were able to save our owl, their feathers are beautiful up close. That would be fun to watch a family grow up. ;)

    I look forward to following your grape growing adventures -- this is something I know very little about, so I will find it very interesting!

    And from one kindred little foot gal to another, thanks for all the comments you leave on my blog! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you post lots of pictures, I'm sure it will be beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting!

    Can't wait to see more.

    And the me me thing makes so much sense. I'm gonna have to go with you on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that is really interesting. i hope to see lots more pictures!

    i am stopping by from SITS to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea, I look forward to following how your grapes are doing. I am hoping for warm weather for you and absolutely no frost!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fascinating! I love how you've given us a close up of the bud break stages!

    ReplyDelete