Thursday, April 9, 2009

Five Ways to Boost Your Creativity

I've been reading an interesting book The New Creative Artist, a Guide to Developing Your Creative Spirit by Nita Leland. Here are some tips from her...


1. Get To Know Your Creative Self
· What do you love to do most?
· Where are you most creative?
· When are you most productive during the day?
· What most motivates you to undertake a creative

challenge?

2. Prepare Your Environment for Creative Activities
· Create an atmosphere that energizes you
· Music can bring you into a creative mood
·
Gather and organize all your supplies for projects
· Schedule time each day to work on a creative project

3. Get Going With What Materials You Already Have
· Don’t worry about completing a finished project
· Scribble, doodle, draw or paint with what’s at hand
· Use pieces of colorful magazine pages to make collages
· You don’t need art materials to get started, just get started

4. Start An Artistic Sketchbook/Journal
· Write notes, lists of ideas and projects
· Doodle and draw
· Never erase to tear out a page
· Date every entry

5. Try New Things On A Regular Basis
· Drive a different route to work
· Change your lip color
· Wear a necklace instead of a scarf
· Change up a recipe with a different spice


(As paraphrased from the New Creative Artist by Nita Leland)



5 comments:

  1. Those are great tips, I will keep them in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! I love channeling my inner creativity.

    I always wished I could draw, but even my stick figures stink. I can doodle up a storm though...

    I'm from the SITS Welcome Wagon! I've been a member since it's beginning, and I've met so many amazing women and read so many fun blogs. I'm so glad you've joined us, SITSta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am from 31DBBB. Great list! I have never heard of that book, but it looks like it is a worthwhile read. I'll have to put in on my Goodreads list. You might be interested in the Creative Prompts project we are doing on my blog:http://artquiltmaker.com/blog/2009/04/creative-prompt-8-dream/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great tips, thanks for sharing!

    And thanks for your comments on my blog, I sure enjoy getting them. And glad you get a guffaw from some of my posts. ;)

    ReplyDelete